Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Take Refuge In Solitude


I don't get much time alone. Besides having a magnificent partner of almost 16 years, 2 active dogs and a fantastically fun brother living with us, I'm also a YOGA TEACHER. And, yeah, it's a very people-oriented job. I'm a communicator and a big fan of creating and sustaining community so it's natural that I'm constantly surrounded by great beings. I'm an extrovert by nature and if you are too, this post is for you...

This last weekend I had the rare opportunity to be completely ALONE. I had a room to myself, total quietude in the evening and even enjoyed a solo meal out, almost completely devoid of conversation and interaction. No texting to fill the space. Just me and my beer :) 



This brief time alone reminded me that there's a S P A C I O U S N E S S to solitude that is precious. Its in that space that the inner witness is most present, when we become acutely aware of the fluctuations of our minds, our patterns, our inner whispers....things that often slide "under the radar" because we're so busy interacting with others. This opportunity is always available to us in our meditation practice but I find there's something more potent about that space when you aren't burrowing away to create it, but rather experience it when you're out in the world, in the midst of the temptation to send energy out and interact.

I was so grateful for this unexpected reminder. I need ME space to continue to offer my best into the YOU and WE space as a friend, a partner, a sister, a daughter, a teacher. Create more opportunities for this quietude. Plan a getaway alone, whether it's for an hour or a weekend. People are big on juice fasting these days, why not take a silence fast for an hour, a day, a week? This solo time is essential for our personal evolution and where our greatest insights may arise. So rather than reflexively reaching out to see who wants to XYZ with you, consider doing it alone and you too may get a little closer to your Truth for the benefit of us all.




"I never found a companion that was so companionable as solitude." 
~ Henry David Thoreau 

No comments:

Post a Comment